Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 2 - Radical Shift

Acts 2:44-47; 4:32-35• This was done in a Jewish culture where inheritance land was a demonstration of their status as the people of God and wealth was seen as a sign of one’s blessing and favor from God
• They radically and intentionally transformed their view of possessions and money

2 Corinthians 8:1-4• The Macedonian Christians behaved as people who had a very different understanding of the purpose of their possessions and money
• They, like the first Jewish Christians, believed that their possessions belonged to God’s Kingdom and one another rather than being their own possessions


• Do you view your money and possessions as belonging to you personally or are you like the first Christians among whom “no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own”?
• Why were the early Christians so willing to share with one another so radically even if it meant changing their own personal financial position?
• What did the actions of the early Christians when it came to their possessions and money demonstrate about the genuineness of their conversion?

Acts 19:19• The Ephesian Christians demonstrated a genuine conversion and a radically new view of the importance of possessions by destroying scrolls that were worth several million dollars in today’s terms


• Why were the Ephesian Christians so willing to change their view of extremely valuable possessions?
• Have you made similarly radical changes in your approach to your possessions since becoming a Christian?


Luke 12:13-21
• How does this man differ from the previous examples of converted disciples concerning his attitude about his own possessions?
• The greatest charge against this man was that he was rich towards himself but not God – this was the evidence of his spiritual condition
• What, according to verse 20, happens to the wealth of those that try to keep it for themselves
• What does verse 21 say about trying to store up wealth according to the world’s principles?

• In what ways have you found yourself thinking like the man in this parable?
• How does verse 21 challenge you personally to change the way you have viewed your possessions and financial situation?



Convictions
• How do the Scriptures challenge Christians to change their thinking about individual wealth?
• What was the attitude of the early church concerning personal possessions and wealth?
• What is the danger of emphasizing one’s personal financial position
• What does one’s attitude about their money and possessions demonstrate about the genuineness of their conversion?

6 comments:

  1. I am challenged by these passages because I have difficulty viewing my possessions as community property. I certainly don't mind borrowing things to people, but expect they are returned in the same condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find these scriptures challenging. I like to make the connection in my head that being responsible financially is being conservative and taking care of the things that I already have. I think there are times though that this thinking can lead me to feel possessive of my possessions instead of generous with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These scriptures once again remind me that being hyperfocused on my stuff, house, schedule, life, family etc. produces less focus on God and others. It is tempting and easy to focus so much on things and lose sight of people and meeting their needs, remembering that I was baptized into the "Body of Christ" to take care of it and glorify God by doing so, which then shines God's light to others. God reminds me that it is all His anyway to be used for His glory and it all burns in the fire. He reminds me of this often.
    Especially when I feel like others aren't taking care of "my" stuff in the same manner I would. Emphasizing on my position, my talents, and financial assets allows me to place my self above others instead of alongside of them helping their "needs" to be met.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've spent a lot of time trying to be finacially secure. I have occasionally thought, "Take life easy; eat, drink, and be merry." It doesn't seem to sink in very fast - seeking a comfortable life now is chasing after the wind. I enjoy a fleeting moment of an imaginary security only to be reminded that I've been deceived again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I was reflecting on Acts 4:32-35, I was thinking about how far removed we Americans are from the concept of what most people in the world understand "being in need" is. 40% of the world's population lives on $2/day or less! Can you imagine living on $2/day and selling some of your land or possessions so that your brother or sister in Christ can have $2/day to live on as well?!? (That takes serious devotion to the Body and serious faith in God as our Provider.) Yet the notion of selling my comfortable home or possessions to provide for others seems like such a stretch to me! Why is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff! Verse 21 is very convicting and a great reminder that all the stuff I have is all because God blessed me... so why not be rich towards God (whether I have a little or a lot). I am happy to give and share, but as I examine my heart there are possessions that I am foolish with as noted in vs 20. I will be praying to prepare for myself lasting treasures!

    ReplyDelete